1. Be hired by a driving school
2. Receive basic instructional training by a driving school
3. Pass an apprentice test at the MVA in Glen Burnie which includes:
a.) a 50 question basic teaching and curriculum knowledge test.
b.) a 10 minute teaching presentation (can also be completed by instructor trainers at Drive On Time Driving School for $69.99 includes behind the wheel evaluation)
c.) a 30 minute behind the wheel audit and teaching demonstration (can also be completed by instructor trainers at Drive On Time Driving School for $69.99 includes classroom teaching evaluation)
4. Pass an MVA approved Advanced Instructor Training course (can be completed by instructor trainers at Drive On Time Driving School)
(Drive On Time Driving School is approved to offer Advanced Instructor Training)
5. Once the apprentice license is acquired the instructor candidate may teach under the supervision of a driving instructor with at least 2 years experience.
6. The apprentice has 6 months to reach a level of competence such that they are able to teach and pass final approval for licensing.
7. An MVA official will observe the apprentice instructor teaching in the classroom and behind the wheel and grade with standardized rubric. Upon successful completion the apprentice will receive a full instructors license.
Trainees must attend all classes (classroom and behind the wheel) and must acquire an apprentice permit prior to attending advanced instructor training
Course Cost $800.00
Dates and Times Look for Upcoming Fall Schedule
Cost of BTW course $400.00 Cost of Classroom Course $400.00
Classes are held at the Salisbury Office and you can sign up online
One 8 hour course is required and hours will count towards continuing education required for license renewal
Available dates at Drive On Time Driving School 2320 Goddard Parkway, Salisbury:
Must register with MVA Driver Instructional Services to get continuing education credit for attendance